Why Garage Door Springs Break
Broken garage springs are a part of a garage door’s life, and are almost inevitable overtime. Some reasons that garage door springs break include:
- They’re old. Garage door springs are designed to last for about 10,000 to 15,000 cycles. This means that after a few years have passed, they have exhausted their lifespan. Age alone can cause torsion springs to break.
- They’ve been poorly maintained. A garage door has a number of moving parts, which need to be inspected and maintained at least once per year. This includes checking springs for damage, oiling moving parts, and cleaning tracks and rollers. Failure to perform garage door maintenance can lead to early deterioration of springs.
- Another part of the garage door is broken. The torsion springs on a garage door are responsible for helping a garage door raise and lower. This means that if another part of the garage door is broken or malfunctioning, the torsion springs may be tasked to do more – such as lift more weight, or lift an unbalanced door – than they are used to. As such, this can cause a garage door spring to break.
How Do I Know if I Have a Broken Garage Door Spring?
There are multiple potential signs of a broken garage door spring, although having a professional diagnose the problem is always advised just to be sure. Some potential signs of broken garage springs include:
- The garage door won’t open;
- The garage door won’t close;
- The garage door crashes when closing;
- You heard a loud bang or explosive sound from the garage (the breaking of a torsion spring); or
- The garage door is shaking when it opens or closes.
How Our Griffith Team At Affordable Garage Door, Inc. Can Help You
We know that dealing with a broken garage door spring is the last thing that you want to have to worry about or spend money on. We also know that if you use your garage door on a daily basis, a broken spring can really interfere with your lifestyle.
When you contact Affordable Garage Door, Inc., our Griffith broken garage spring professionals will quickly come to your home and assess your garage door. If you have a broken spring, we will give you a free quote regarding the costs of replacement, and a time estimate for how long this will take us. We always provide you with our pricing information upfront first.
If you think that you have a broken garage spring or your garage door is malfunctioning, contact us today for quick repairs. You can contact us by calling us directly, or send us a message via our website.